|Architect||Ridolfi, Marie & Wolfgang Frankl|
|Address||via G.B. de Rossi, 12|
|Building Type||Urban villa|
|Number of Dwellings||17|
|Dwelling Types||1m2m& 3 BR flats|
|stucco, glass, metal|
|Construction Type||RC frame|
|Ancillary Services||basement parking|
This is one of the largest of the many Roman palazzine designed by this firm between 1934 and 1956 (See Palazzina Rea for a description of the palazzina building type). What appears from the street to be one building with a recessed vertical slot towards the east end, is actually two separate buildings one with a single dwelling per floor and one with two dwellings per floor. In addition to the normal 6-story palazzina block, the corner site left enough room for another smaller building that is rotated 90 degrees to via De Rossi, facing the street to the west. The two blocks connect together at the upper floors but are set back along the street with a common auto drop-off and lobby area that connects two separate vertical circulation cores that are day lighted with light wells. The buildings step back at the top with terraces and two large 3-bedroom penthouse apartments. Typical to most Roman palazzine, the individual dwellings are very generous two bedroom units with balconies off the living dining area and the master bedroom. A narrow terrace runs continuously along three sides of the building at the top floor. The exterior walls are stucco with a very simple repetitive pallet of windows and doors.
Zaccardi combines influences from earlier Rationalist projects of Ridolfi and Frankl, especially Palazzina Rea done in 1934 and from the later work of the firm after WWII when they were responding to the vernacular precedents of Neo Realism and the needs of post-war rehabilitation. The exposed structure at the entry, the metal casement windows, and the planer stucco walls suggest modern references while the angular walls and balconies, decorated glass balustrades, and mansard roofs seem like quotes from vernacular sources. In 1945, immediately after WWII, Ridolfi published an influential book about building construction. Modeled after Ramsey & Sleeper’s Architectural Graphic Standards, first published in the US in 1932, Ridolfi’s Manuale dell ‘architetto , became the technical guide to the details, materials, and finishes that characterized the Neo Realism epoch.
De Gutry, Irene, Guida di Roma Moderna, De Lucca Editore, Roma, 1978, pp. 84.