|Project||INA Casa Harrar/Reggio|
|Architect||Reggio, Gianluigi & Mario Tevarotto|
|Address||Via Harrar(Dessie)/Via S. Giusto|
|Building Type||Slab, gallery access|
|Number of Dwellings||c.100|
|concrete, stucco, wood|
|Construction Type||RC frame|
Between the enactment of Legge 28 in 1949 and the adoption of the new Legge 167, in 1962, public housing in Italy was managed by l'Istituto Nazionale per le Assicurazione, the so-called INA Casa. This organization administered the post-WWII version of a series of earlier social housing programs in Italy: Istituto Case Populare (ICP, 1903); Istituto Autonomo per le Case Populari (IACP, 1909); the Istituto Facista Autonomo per le Case Populari (IFACP, the IACP under the fascist government); and for a while after INA Casa, Gestione Case per Lavoratori (GESCAL). The new housing built in the two decades or so following WWII typically followed CIAM models for new housing quarters and usually consisted of irregular groups of buildings built on large open sites applying a variety of building types ranging from towers and slabs to semi-detached duplexes and individual houses. INA Casa was a nation-wide program of housing construction that was concentrated in the principle metropolitan centers. The Harrar project shown here was an early INA Casa development in the S. Siro district on the western edge of Milano. The building is one of several similar long slabs that are arranged as a group of perpendicular, free-standing zeilenbau that were designed by different architects (see Bottoni and Figini & Pollini for other buildings on this site). Two-story rowhouses are scattered in several groups around the slabs and the whole complex houses a population of several thousand in about 950 dwellings.
This 6-story slab parallels the street, via Dessié, and faces south to open landscaped spaces and clusters of lower single family houses. Open galleries along the street give access to 5 levels of flats that open to balconies facing south. The building is raised above an open pilotis at the ground floor. Recalling earlier buildings of the 1930?s, the simple but elegant south side is a fine example of a pure Rationalist façade. Designed with a regular exposed concrete frame that defines small recessed balconies, full-height windows, rolling wooden shutters, and composed as a layered three-dimensional matrix of identical square bays, this building was the likely prototype for Aldo Rossi's Gallaratese slab built nearby 18 years later. It has the same long low lamellar proportions, small structural bays, exposed structural frame, square openings, sparse details and an open pilotis that, unlike Gallaratese, is the same height as the floors above and is used for parking.
Anguissola, Luigi Beretta, I 14 Anni de Piano INACASA, Staderini Editore, Roma, 1963, pp. 218-221.
Grandi, Maurizio and Attilio Pracchi,Milano: Guida all' architettura Moderna, Zanichelli, Bologna, 1980, pp. 254-55, 274.